Campaign Started to Save Georgia Shakespeare

0

To keep from becoming another fatality to the economic downtown, Georgia Shakespeare needs the public’s help to survive. The theater company needs to raise $150,000 by September 23 to keep its doors open.

Artistic Director Richard Garner sent a letter to patrons and supporters, pleading for donations to keep the theater afloat. In the letter he wrote, “In spite of the best efforts of our board and staff, we now face the dire reality of having to shut our doors unless we take immediate action. We are asking you to help us with that action now.”

Since the letter went out, Facebook and Twitter have been flooded with patrons, supporters and friends spreading the word about the dire need. Due to these efforts, $25,000 has already been raised. Plus, an anonymous donor has pledged to pay 10%, or $15,000, if the community donates the other $135,000 (90% percent).

Raising this amount will allow Georgia Shakespeare to present The Glass Menagerie in October. However, once this goal is reached, another fundraising goal will ensue. An additional $350,000 will be needed by the end of the year to keep the doors open.

According to the theater’s Facebook page a benefit cabaret will be held September 19. To donate to Georgia Shakespeare, visit https://tickets.gashakespeare.org/dev/contribute.aspx and donate using the annual fund selection.

Since 1986 Georgia Shakespeare has been providing Atlanta audiences with bold, thoughtful theater. Starting in a tent on the Oglethorpe University Campus, the company, then known as the Georgia Shakespeare Festival, makes its home in Oglethorpe’s 509-seat Conant Performing Arts Center. Over the years, the company has performed Shakespearean plays such as The Tempest, Macbeth, King Lear and As You Like It. In addition, fan favorites and classics like Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Cyrano De Bergerac, Antigone and Death of a Salesman have been performed.