Anton in Show Business by Jane Martin is the inaugural production for The Weird Sisters Theatre Project, a coalition of artists associated with the Atlanta Shakespeare Company. Last summer the group presented Paula Vogel’s Desdemona: a play about a handkerchief. And now, they are proud to present this fun, funny, sexy, tongue-in-cheek look at modern American Theatre.
This comedy follows three actresses across the footlights, down the rabbit hole and into a strangely familiar Wonderland that looks a lot like American theatre…the resemblance is uncanny! As these women pursue their dream of performing Chekhov in Texas, they’re whisked through a maelstrom of “good ideas” that offer unique solutions to the Three Sister’s need to have life’s deeper purpose revealed. In the tradition of great backstage comedies, Anton in Show Business conveys the joys, pains and absurdities of “putting on a play” at the turn of the century.
There is a limited menu for each show. Food and drink bars open 75 minutes prior to each performance and closes ten minutes before curtain.
What Audiences Are Saying
- “Powerful women. Perfectly cast. Damn-near flawless. Incredibly grounded, hilarious, and moving. You don’t need money to back up a production when the work is THIS good. Without question one of my favorite nights at the theatre in a long, long time.” -Tony Larkin, Actor
- “I have to highly, highly, recommend that you make some time to see this show…it’s great acting, a great script, and (close to my heart) an ALL-FEMALE cast doing great work. Maybe help show Atlanta theatres that all-male shows aren’t the only thing that will sell tickets and please audiences.” -Diany Rodriguez, Actor
- “Anton in Show Business is the first step in, hopefully, a long journey for The Weird Sisters. It’s got some of the best acting that I’ve seen this year. If you’re a fan of theatre in Atlanta, you owe it to yourself to make the time to see this show.” -Jacob York, Actor
- “Loved, loved, loved it! Don’t miss this magical, hilarious, and touching night of theatre, at a play about the magic, laughter, and love of a life in the theatre.” -Cara Mantella, Actor
Cast And Crew
Director: Veronika Duerr
Assistant Director: Nick Faircloth
AD/ Lighting Designer: Matt Felten
Sound Designer: Tony Larkin
Stage Manager: Bryan Lee
Assistant Stage Managers: Dani Herd, Vinnie Mascola
Featuring: Kelly Criss, Taylor M. Dooley, Rachel Frawley, Jaclyn Hofmann, Megan Rose Houchins, Tiffany Porter, Annie York
Only FOUR performances remain:
- Tuesday, August 14 at 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, August 15 at 7:30 p.m.
- Monday, August 20 at 7:30 p.m. (Industry Pay What You Can, $5 suggested minimum)
- Tuesday, August 21 at 7:30 p.m.
Performances are held at The Shakespeare Tavern. For tickets and more information, call 404-874-5299 or visit http://prospero.shakespearetavern.com/Tickets/anton_aug2012.