The 2014 National Puppet Slam at Center for Puppetry Arts
Experience the beauty, ingenuity and hilarity of short-form puppet theater in this showcase of slam acts from across the country. Nominated by their respective slams in the Puppet Slam Network and curated by the Center for Puppetry Arts, the nation’s best slam performances will be presented for three nights only! Recommended for ages 18+ ONLY, the National Puppet Slam is sponsored in part by Dragon Con and the Puppet Slam Network. The lineup is as follows:
- “The Joshua Show: Trick Yourself into Being Happy” by Joshua Holden from New York
Mr. Nicholas, the sock puppet, expresses his frustration with feeling grumpy and sad every day. Joshua, his soul mate, teaches him how to kick the blues by tricking himself into being happy.
- “Sifters” by Sarah Nolen from Connecticut
The story of love, loss and letting go is told in silhouette.
- “Real Puppetry of the Penis” by Michael and Valerie Nelson from California
A demonstration of various penis puppets with commentary.
- “The Mantis Sisters” by Donna Kimball, Alison Mork, and Kristin Charney from California
Three sisters discuss the joys, as well as the unique pitfalls of dating in the praying mantis world.
- “Moon Gas” by David T Steinman with Blake Love, Kit Leffler, Kalen Keir and Skyler Nowinskifrom Minnesota
A wild rock opera set in a subterraneous moon tavern.
- “Milo the Magnificent” by Alex Vernon and Sarah Olmsted Thomas from Maryland
Milo is a young, aspiring magician who’s thrilled to debut his first performance in front of a live audience. He will also exhibit his latest invention: the mechanical man!
- “Who’s Lovin’ You” by Marta Mozelle MacRostie and Jessica Simon from New York
A man and his heart-dog must struggle on after being dumped.
- “Superstition” by Brodrick Jones from New York
A black cat has a bad day.
- “The Master” by Anamaria Craciun from Connecticut
An apprentice has a life and death confrontation with their Master.
- “Hot Carl” by Paul McGinnis with Victor Yerrid and Haley Jenkins from New York
A black light, tabletop piece featuring a dancing skeleton.
A beer and wine bar will be open before the show and during intermission.
WHEN: August 28-30, 2014
Thursday – Saturday: 8 p.m.
WHERE: Center for Puppetry Arts
1404 Spring Street NW, Atlanta, GA 30309
TICKETS: Tickets are $13 (Members) and$18 (Nonmembers) and include entry to the performance and Museum. ORDER TICKETS ONLINE AT http://puppet.org/perform/slam2014.shtml OR CALL 404-873-3391.
The all-inclusive ticket also admits patrons to the Center’s Museum. Explore the Center’s permanent museum exhibit PUPPETS: The Power of Wonder, as well as the newest special exhibit Cinderella’s Tightrope: Adapted Childhood Tales. Don’t miss the display detailing the Center’s upcoming museum expansion to house the definitive Jim Henson collection. Museum admission can also be purchased separately for $8.25 (FREE for Members). Visit www.puppet.org/museum for more information.